Thursday, November 24, 2011

thankful, reconnaissant, agradecido, a be plenty thankful soteh...

Apologies for not writing in awhile...life has found me rather busy.  Really, by the time I get home, get a work out in of some kind, eat dinner, I can barely raise my arms for the remote control, let alone type out a post.

Today I find myself up in Olympia to spend time with the family.  My SIL and I got up to participate in the "Oly Trot"... a 4 mile turkey trot this chilly morning at 8am.  It was great to get up and get going... however there were about 700 runners attempting to run around Capitol Lake which has a path for about 3 people wide, which made for some annoyingly slow moments.  Not that I am a fast runner by any stretch of the imagination, but when you're stuck behind a family of 5 with a stroller... it's annoying.  When we finished the run, they had run out of cups for water (which were small Dixie cups)... which almost sent me over the edge...  Really? Is this your first day? Effing amateur hour!  I mean, don't ask me to pay $35 bucks and not have any water!!! I'm just saying. Oh yeah, it's Thanksgiving and this post is about being thankful.


The past year has been pretty tough, and now that I'm am starting to see the sun peep out behind the dark clouds, I am reminded of what I am thankful for:

1. My wonderful friends who inspire me on a daily basis.  I have been fortunate enough to have collected an incredible gaggle of great friends through my travels and life experiences. My only complaint is that they are scattered all over the country and beyond... would love it if they all lived in my neighborhood.
My dear friend Kate is in India right now particpating in a medical rickshaw race from Mumbai to Dehli.  Not only am I super proud of her, but I'm extremely jealous... as I feel she and I would have made a fabulous team... I should be there! Please check out this link and if you feel like you have a coin to spare, consider donating money to this worthy cause.  http://www.crowdrise.com/rallyforhealth and http://www.facebook.com/RallyForHealth

2. My family and my family's health. My family experienced a bit of a medical turbulence earlier this year and fortunately, the outcome seems to be ok... I am very thankful for that.  One of the greatest lessons I have learned by being in health care is that life is precious and the fact that I and most of my friends and family have adequate access to health care should not be taken lightly.  I think of this on a daily basis as a primary care provider... my decision making is often dictated by not what test to order but what test will the insurance pay for if any...

3. Being the Eff done with school! I am pretty GD thankful for that.

4. I basically hit the lottery with my new job... and I feel thankful that I even have a job considering the economic climate and this job is pretty money.  I don't have the pressure to see 5 million patients in a day... which as a new grad is pretty incredible.  I am able to take my time, which comes as a blessing considering I am practically looking things up with every visit trying to figure out what the heck to do.  I am  hopeful that this parts gets a little easier as time goes on... there is just SO much to know.

5. I feel very lucky to have access to amazing, healthy, local food.  I've attached pictures of the PSU Saturday Farmer's market... I went two weekends ago and it was incredible.
Only in Portlandia!

Celery on Roids



Ok, now I need to get fired up to enjoy yet another Thanksgiving dinner with my family as the only single member of the clan.  Cheers! Happy Thanksgiving! Bon Appetit! Chop Fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment